It follows the Veterans’ Strategy Action Plan, which was launched six months ago.
Significant progress has been made in veterans’ healthcare, housing and employment, new data suggests.
The improvement in support and services comes follows the Veterans’ Strategy Action Plan, which was launched more than six months ago.
But what does it mean?
– ‘Veteran Aware’ status has been granted to more than 100 NHS England Trusts, which gives veterans and their families the highest standards of care.
– There are also now more than 1,500 ‘Veteran Friendly’ GP practices in England, providing special mental health and support services.
– Opening bids have been made for the Veterans’ Health Innovation Fund, which will seek to develop innovative projects to enhance care.
– The Department for Education has updated a website for veterans who may wish to apply for the Troops to Teach scheme.
– The Great Place to Work for Veterans guaranteed progression scheme will be rolled out across all central Government departments – the aim is to help veterans find it easier than it has been before to join the Civil Service.
– The first stage of the Advance into Justice programme, helping former personnel to become prison officers, has been completed.
– Funding of £5m has been distributed through the Afghanistan Veterans Fund, to help former personnel of recent conflicts.
– The newest members of the Veterans’ Advisory Board, which gives ministers independent advice on support for ex-personnel, have been announced by the Cabinet Office.
Personnel will also be able to verify their veteran status online in the future thanks to a £1m-increase in funding allocated to a new digital service.
Minister for Veterans’ Affairs Johnny Mercer said: “We want to make sure that, regardless of location, our veterans can access incredible employment opportunities and the support they may need.
“Schemes such as Advance into Justice and Troops to Teach allow veterans to bring their fantastic transferable skills into other areas.
“Great progress has been made on our provision for veterans but there is more to do to realize our mission to make the UK the best place in the world to be a veteran.”
To download the Veterans Strategy Action plan go to